[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Apr 30 12:43:20 CDT 2004

On Apr 30, 2004, at 1:07 PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>>> I have a shit-box PC: 700MHz AMD K7, 256MB RAM, dual Adaptec 2940
>>> SCSI,
>>> nVidia graphics, emu10k sound, and misc other pieces.
>>>
>> And again... say it with me G5, or iMac.
>
> Nice machine, not a workstation.

   By what metric?

     - Very fast RISC processor
     - Memory bandwidth appropriate for processor
     - Balanced design
     - Very high-resolution graphics
     - Integrated high-speed networking
     - UNIX

   The only thing it falls down on it its *DEFAULT* use of SATA.

>>> carefully, and in general it will run circles around any used
>>> workstation in its price range, and even quite a few that cost a lot
>>> more.
>>>
>> At one task.
>
> Why?
>
> With Windows, sure, but my Linux setup runs quite a bit more than one
> task all day, every day.

   You've obviously not run them side-by-side.  It is a very widely
known fact that the PC architecture has "issues" with performance in
context switching.  Start one compile, and it'll be fine.  Start two,
and watch your performance spiral into the toilet.

           -Dave