[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Apr 30 12:07:40 CDT 2004

Thu, 29 Apr 2004 @ 19:29 -0400, Andrew Weiss said:

> On Apr 29, 2004, at 5:21 PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
> >Works great for servers, because you can get decent UNIX servers
> >relatively cheaply.
> >
> >I think it is much harder to get a non-PC desktop though.
> >
> G5, or iMac.

True, and I really like the G5.  Can't afford it though.

Also, I specifically said "workstation".  I'm talking about getting a
UNIX workstation for roughly the same $$$/power ratio.

> >I have a shit-box PC: 700MHz AMD K7, 256MB RAM, dual Adaptec 2940 SCSI,
> >nVidia graphics, emu10k sound, and misc other pieces.
> >
> And again... say it with me G5, or iMac.

Nice machine, not a workstation.

> >A "real" workstation with even this much outdated power would cost
> >quite a bit.
> >
> How about current ... near SunBlade 2000 power or more...

Nice.  $5800 used.

> G5...? It's crossbar-switched.

A G5 has a crossbar?  Cool!

> >You *can* build a PC that won't crash if you chose your parts
> >carefully, and in general it will run circles around any used
> >workstation in its price range, and even quite a few that cost a lot
> >more.
> >
> At one task.

Why?

With Windows, sure, but my Linux setup runs quite a bit more than one
task all day, every day.

> >Desktop power outside of the PC/Apple world is *very* expensive.
> >
> Apple for our purposes here <> PC.

That's why I said Apple/PC.  I don't lump the Apple in with PC.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [governorrhea: a contagious disease that
spreads from the governor of a state downward through other offices and his