[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Apr 30 12:38:03 CDT 2004

On Apr 30, 2004, at 1:11 PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>>> You think that machine is as fast as my Athlon PC with nVidia
>>> graphics
>>> on desktop applications?
>>
>>   Umm, yes, basically.  Are you aware that I too have an Athlon PC
>> with
>> nVidia graphics, sitting next to my Ultra60?
>
> I am now!
>
> Have you run Gnome on both?  If you found the Sun just as fast,
> what kind of graphics board do you have?

   I run Gnome on both.  The Sun has an Elite3D-M3, which I'm trying to
replace with a Creator3D for faster 2D performance (I don't do any 3D
stuff) and higher resolution.

> Every U60 I sat down at had relatively low end graphics and it was too
> slow.  OpenGL was abysmal.

   Indeed.  I guess it's a good thing they're not game machines or
animation workstations.  OpenGL is a niche, not a hard-and-fast
requirement for any desktop machine.

   If you want good OpenGL performance, you need to look into SGI.  Suns
aren't built for it, and PCs are toys for "kiddiez".

>>   Ahh, the megahertz myth rears its ugly head.
>
> I'm not talking about megahertz at all.  I'm talking about the
> graphics on the Sun being slower.
>
> I know how fast a 300MHz Sun is, I've used them a lot.  They are
> sometimes faster clock for click (MIPS is better at this), but that
> can't make up for everything.

   They are nearly always faster clock for clock.  However, I wasn't
aware that you were talking exclusively about OpenGL graphics
performance.  I'm sorry if that was my mistake.  Sun workstations
definitely aren't very strong there...as that's not what they're
designed to do.

>>   Clueless.
>
> No, you just aren't listening.

   I'm listening.  Over the past two days, I've heard you say:

   - PCs are faster than workstations
   - PCs are cheaper than workstations
   - PCs are easier to get than workstations

   I think I hear you loud and clear.

       -Dave