[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Apr 30 12:11:23 CDT 2004

Fri, 30 Apr 2004 @ 12:28 -0400, Dave McGuire said:

> >You think that machine is as fast as my Athlon PC with nVidia graphics
> >on desktop applications?
>
>   Umm, yes, basically.  Are you aware that I too have an Athlon PC with
> nVidia graphics, sitting next to my Ultra60?

I am now!

Have you run Gnome on both?  If you found the Sun just as fast,
what kind of graphics board do you have?

Every U60 I sat down at had relatively low end graphics and it was too
slow.  OpenGL was abysmal.

> >Um.... no.
> >
> >Evidently you don't either since you think a 300MHz Sun with low end
> >graphics is as fast as a desktop PC.
>
>   Ahh, the megahertz myth rears its ugly head.

I'm not talking about megahertz at all.  I'm talking about the
graphics on the Sun being slower.

I know how fast a 300MHz Sun is, I've used them a lot.  They are
sometimes faster clock for click (MIPS is better at this), but that
can't make up for everything.

>   Clueless.

No, you just aren't listening.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The strength of the Constitution lies
entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it.  Only if every