[rescue] Re: ethernet and switches, Dell networking

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Fri Apr 30 12:10:42 CDT 2004

On Apr 30, 2004, at 10:43 AM, Kevin wrote:

> I was conducting a security audit this past Tuesday at a
> charitable organization.  The SA didn't know how to set a
> monitoring port on the Dell switch(s) so she called Dell.  The
> guy on the phone didn't seem to understand the very basic concept
> of a monitoring port so we just gave up with the call.
>
> Dell may make some stuff that's decent and some that's crap, but
> they are not a "networking" company.  I'm not buying ANY
> networking equipiment from a company whose primary business is to
> sell x86 boxen to home users.
>
> Dude, you're gettin' a Dell....... FUCK that.
>
> BTW: i finally did accomplish what i needed by setting
> multiple port mirrors, but figuring out this contrived method
> wasted much time, which in turn was a direct cost to the charity.
>
> /KRM

My dad got a freebie wireless router from them.  It is used as an
access point on his network... it works ok for that but their DHCP
server works like 5% of the time on that box.  It's an utter piece of
rat turd.

He got a cable modem router later and we use that for DHCP and it's
flawless.  I think I had him buy the Linksys box.

Andrew