[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Apr 30 11:48:07 CDT 2004

On Apr 30, 2004, at 12:40 PM, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
>>> Evidently you don't either since you think a 300MHz Sun with low
>>> end graphics is as fast as a desktop PC.
>>
>>    Ahh, the megahertz myth rears its ugly head.
>>
>>    Clueless.
>
> Well, on every benchmark I've tried doing, I've discovered that
> Ultrasparc seems to *completely suck* for computationally intensive
> tasks.  Compared, of course, to an RS/6000 with a POWER processor (or
> even a G4 mac).
>
> BTW, what I tested was a single-threaded benchmark on a 1.2GHz
> UltraSparc III+ in a Sun F6800.  One benchmark put it on par with a
> 200MHz POWER-3 based RS/6000.  I tried both GCC and figuring it was
> outputting horrible code, Sun's CC.  Sun's compiler wasn't much faster.
>
> Sun is good for I/O but crappy for computing things (quickly).  Of
> course, desktop applications don't require either.

   Actually, take a closer look at your benchmarks.  Where SPARC falls
down is floating-point performance.  The integer performance is quite
good.  The FP performance has, historically, always sucked.

   Which, for me, is fine...because I have Machines (with a capital "M")
which are *only* good for serious FP.

         -Dave