[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Fri Apr 30 11:40:34 CDT 2004

On Friday 30 April 2004 11:28, Dave McGuire wrote:
> > Evidently you don't either since you think a 300MHz Sun with low
> > end graphics is as fast as a desktop PC.
>
>    Ahh, the megahertz myth rears its ugly head.
>
>    Clueless.

Well, on every benchmark I've tried doing, I've discovered that
Ultrasparc seems to *completely suck* for computationally intensive
tasks.  Compared, of course, to an RS/6000 with a POWER processor (or
even a G4 mac).

BTW, what I tested was a single-threaded benchmark on a 1.2GHz
UltraSparc III+ in a Sun F6800.  One benchmark put it on par with a
200MHz POWER-3 based RS/6000.  I tried both GCC and figuring it was
outputting horrible code, Sun's CC.  Sun's compiler wasn't much faster.

Sun is good for I/O but crappy for computing things (quickly).  Of
course, desktop applications don't require either.

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        ---  http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/
The Computer Refuge               ---  http://computer-refuge.org