[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 30 01:39:28 CDT 2004

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 18:30:52 -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Apr 29, 2004, at 5:21 PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > I have a shit-box PC: 700MHz AMD K7, 256MB RAM, dual Adaptec 2940
> > SCSI, nVidia graphics, emu10k sound, and misc other pieces.
> >
>   The idea that "PCs make cheaper desktop machines" is bullshit.

Who cares if they do make cheaper desktop machines ? I still wouldn't
get one. Choose any two of cheap, fast, or classy (and PCs can't be
classy).

> > You *can* build a PC that won't crash if you chose your parts
> > carefully,

Sure, but why should I spend all that time when I can get a decent
machine off the eBay shelf ?

> > Desktop power outside of the PC/Apple world is *very* expensive.

Only if you buy new, and then you're only partially right ... blade150's
are pretty cheap.