[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Apr 29 17:20:34 CDT 2004

On Apr 29, 2004, at 6:02 PM, Joshua Boyd wrote:

>>> You mean being the second most used desktop os,
>>
>>   Irrelevant argument.  Parts of MacOS X trace their lineage back to
>> NeXTSTEP, but that doesn't mean MacOS X is NeXTSTEP.
>
> It seems like it basically is to me.
>
> I mean, we still have Mach don't we (albeit an upgraded one).  We still
> have a BSD OS (albeit an upgraded more standard one), we still have
> objective C, and most of the nextstep libraries appear to mostly
> intact.  It looks to me pretty darn similar, except upgraded and more
> compatible with the rest of the unix world.

   Well, by that logic...My Ultra60 has a keyboard, it has a monitor, it
has wires coming out the back...therefore it's a Symbolics 3645!!

> It looks to me like Next took over Apple and released a radically
> updated Nextstep under a new name.

   The "radically updated" part is kinda important.  It's a whole
different Mach subsystem, it's a whole different userland based on an
entirely different BSD distribution, it's an entirely different I/O
subsystem, a whole different windowing system...Come ON, man.

> Maybe it's just because I want it to be that way that it looks that way
> to me though.

   Eh.  You wouldn't be so fascinated with NeXTSTEP if you'd spent some
time trying to develop software for it.

> Supposedly PalmOS 6 is BeOS with a different GUI.  I disclaim this with
> saying I am making absolutely no attempt, what so ever to look into it.

   That's bizarre.

        -Dave