[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Apr 29 17:02:09 CDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 06:00:13PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

> >>Yes, let's ask NeXT and BeOS where that got them.  Oh, wait...
> >
> >You mean being the second most used desktop os,
>
>   Irrelevant argument.  Parts of MacOS X trace their lineage back to
> NeXTSTEP, but that doesn't mean MacOS X is NeXTSTEP.

It seems like it basically is to me.

I mean, we still have Mach don't we (albeit an upgraded one).  We still
have a BSD OS (albeit an upgraded more standard one), we still have
objective C, and most of the nextstep libraries appear to mostly
intact.  It looks to me pretty darn similar, except upgraded and more
compatible with the rest of the unix world.

It looks to me like Next took over Apple and released a radically
updated Nextstep under a new name.

Maybe it's just because I want it to be that way that it looks that way
to me though.

> > and the second most used handheld OS (OK, that's a stretch for BeOS)?
>
>   Uhhhhh, what?  I'm interested to know what you're talking about here.
>
>   But frankly, if it's more than a stretch than your NeXT point above,
> don't bother explaining it. ;)

Supposedly PalmOS 6 is BeOS with a different GUI.  I disclaim this with
saying I am making absolutely no attempt, what so ever to look into it.