[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Apr 29 17:08:13 CDT 2004

On Apr 29, 2004, at 3:41 PM, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
>>> The problem isn't that the thing was poorly designed for its time,
>>> but
>>> that we haven't learned from the PC's design compromises and moved on
>>> to something better.
>>
>>    Bullshit.  The rest of the computer industry moved past the archaic
>> PC architecture years ago.
>
> Yeah, but that other stuff doesn't sell in anything like the volume
> PCs do.
>
> NB: I'm not talking "good" here, just "popular" and "profitable to
> make and
> sell."
>
> NB2: I'm not advocating the purchase, use or discussion of PCs.  Or
> even the
> toleration.  Just the understanding.  "Know thine enemy" and all that.

   I know that.  You've obviously missed my entire point.  It was
probably my fault for not explaining myself more clearly.

   Eventually, vendors are responsible to *us*.  *WE* control what they
build, more than they do...our effects on what they build just have a
longer time constant than their management.

   If people stop buying PCs, companies will eventually stop making PCs.
  If people stop buying Windows, eventually Microsoft will stop selling
Windows.

   The trouble is, the FUCKING SHEEP in this society have gotten used to
being told what to buy...which puts the vendors in a wonderful
position.  It allows them to build complete shit products as cheaply as
possible, with ZERO attention to quality (ahem...PCs, Windows) and then
order the obedient people to buy them.  And they do!

   If people would get off their asses, learn about the issues, make
informed decisions, and exercise some free will, PCs and Windows will
DIE.

          -Dave