[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Apr 29 14:26:31 CDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 03:26:12PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   But we were talking about the IBM PC, which was based on the 8088.
> We were talking about when the machine "came out", which some of us
> interpreted to mean "when it was designed" and others took it to mean
> "when it first shipped".  We were talking about the PC architecture,
> basically.

I thought we were talking about the PC architecture, and it seems to me
that the PC architecture is largely the 8088 archtecture.  Wasn't ISA
virtually the same as the processor bus?  The same for IDE?

Feel free to correct me, but I always tended to view the architecture of
the PC as the architecture of the 8086.

>   If you want to talk exclusively about the x86 architecture, though,
> that actually dates back to 1974, to the 8080.  The 8086 is largely a
> 16-bit extension of the basic 8080 architecture, implementing
> substantially the same internal structure, register set, and
> instruction set.

My originally comment about the seventies was made before you mentioned
going further back to the 8080 or 4004.  I specifically didn't go back
any further than the birth of the 8086 since I don't really know much of
anything about the 8080s and the 4004 other than they existed at some
point of time and influenced things in some sort of way.