[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Apr 29 14:26:12 CDT 2004

On Apr 29, 2004, at 2:52 PM, Joshua Boyd wrote:
>>> I thought the 8086s were shipping in the late 70s (like 78 or 79),
>>> before the PC was released using the 8088.
>>
>>   ???  What does the 8086 have to do with this?
>
> Well, every P4 is still compatible with them, and my understanding is
> that BIOSs still runn in 16bit mode because of them.
>
> Not to mention the annoying 4 registers.

   Ok, maybe I'm being impatient here.  I do have a headache.

   I'm quite [painfully] aware of the fact that the 8086 was the chip
the 8088 was a scaled-down version of.  The 8086 was introduced in 1978
and the 8088 was introduced in 1979.

   But we were talking about the IBM PC, which was based on the 8088.
We were talking about when the machine "came out", which some of us
interpreted to mean "when it was designed" and others took it to mean
"when it first shipped".  We were talking about the PC architecture,
basically.

   If you want to talk exclusively about the x86 architecture, though,
that actually dates back to 1974, to the 8080.  The 8086 is largely a
16-bit extension of the basic 8080 architecture, implementing
substantially the same internal structure, register set, and
instruction set.

   (Some people here disagree with this, but their cluelessness is not
my problem...I've designed with both, and programmed both in assembler,
so unless they can say the same, they can "talk to the hand", as it
were.)

          -Dave