[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Apr 29 12:24:49 CDT 2004

Thu, 29 Apr 2004 @ 01:21 -0500, Bill Bradford said:

> On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 02:09:42AM -0400, Nathan Raymond wrote:
> > I am not a fan of Windows or x86, but I've been wondering if the noises
> > about companies dropping the legacy x86 BIOS and developing a new modern
> > firmware
>
> Our NetApp 940 (x86 processor) runs OpenFirmware.
>
> I wish more PCs were like it.  At one point about a year ago, the only
> thing keeping me from making sunhelp.org's main server a Solaris x86 box
> was the inability to do decent remote management (e.g., a serial console
> that was *designed* to be a serial console).

What about the idea that all cards would run a FORTH BIOS, so that they
could be used on any system?

Why didn't that ever take off?

I kept waiting for it to happen... just enough FORTH to bootstrap before
the CPU-specific drivers could be loaded would be great.

> Thanks to a serial console server, I go 3-4 months between visits to the
> colo facility (its a 40 mile round trip drive from my house, on the other
> end of Austin).

I would love for the common PC to have a real serial BIOS.

And no, not just a serialized version of the current BIOS either.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["People should have access to the data which
you have about them.  There should be a process for them to challenge any