[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Thu Apr 29 01:21:06 CDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 02:09:42AM -0400, Nathan Raymond wrote:
> I am not a fan of Windows or x86, but I've been wondering if the noises
> about companies dropping the legacy x86 BIOS and developing a new modern
> firmware

Our NetApp 940 (x86 processor) runs OpenFirmware.

I wish more PCs were like it.  At one point about a year ago, the only
thing keeping me from making sunhelp.org's main server a Solaris x86 box
was the inability to do decent remote management (e.g., a serial console
that was *designed* to be a serial console).

Thanks to a serial console server, I go 3-4 months between visits to the
colo facility (its a 40 mile round trip drive from my house, on the other
end of Austin).

As of right now, I haven't been down there in 56 days (56 days ago being
when I installed the E3K to replace the old server).  99% of the time, if
I'm there in person I'm either taking backup tapes offsite, or working on
a couple other colo boxes I manage for a consulting client.

1:19am  up 56 day(s),  3:10,  5 users,  load average: 0.66, 0.41, 0.30

Bill

--
bill bradford
austin texas