[rescue] Compaq Proliant 8000

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Apr 29 12:32:08 CDT 2004

Wed, 28 Apr 2004 @ 15:47 -0400, Dave McGuire said:

>   My memory may be suffering from bit rot, but I never saw it marketed
> as a general-purpose CPU.  It was generally touted as a "Cray on a
> chip".

I worked for a company in 1994 that built a supercomputer out of them.

When I got there, it was a dead project, but there was still one in the
back.  It was a VMEbus-ish system with about 14 i860 boards in it and
some kind of "master" host board.  For its time it was quite fast.  The
OS on the i860s was just enough to receive math operations over the bus,
and another system was what you actually wrote code for.  I think a
68030 dispatched operations to the i860 boards, but I can't remember
for sure.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["People should have access to the data which
you have about them.  There should be a process for them to challenge any