[rescue] i860 Success

Janet L. Campbell janet at foonly.com
Wed Apr 28 14:34:49 CDT 2004

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Gerhard Lenerz wrote:

>   maybe my view is a bit distorted but I remember that lots of CA
>   books covered the CPU architectures of the "RISC days" almost
>   equally. If the i860 was an attempt to build another RISC approach
>   for a general purpose CPU beside MIPS, SPARC and later PA-RISC it
>   probably failed in that area.

This is how I see it.  Intel pushed the Paragon as their flagship, and
even the boost from going from the XR to XP chips couldn't save it.  They
were indeed very tough to optimize for.

A *lot* of the architecture was exposed in the instruction set, which made
it good for embedding in high speed peripherals, but not so good for using
in a general purpose computer.

The i960 was vastly different and was specifically designed for embedded
applications.  It was a lot simpler to integrate.

-Janet