[rescue] i860 Success

Gerhard Lenerz mail at g-lenerz.de
Wed Apr 28 12:44:14 CDT 2004

Hello Dave & all,

>> The i860 was one of Intel's attempts to get away from x86, but it
>> failed.
>    It failed?  They sold a metric buttload of them, and they were used
> in all sorts of applications.  Same with the i960.  Same with about
> 5-10 other architectures.

  maybe my view is a bit distorted but I remember that lots of CA
  books covered the CPU architectures of the "RISC days" almost
  equally. If the i860 was an attempt to build another RISC approach
  for a general purpose CPU beside MIPS, SPARC and later PA-RISC it
  probably failed in that area.

  Corrections/fills very welcome, I guess some architecture history is
  a very appropriate topic.

Gerhard