[rescue] wtb: terminal server, 8 or 16 ports

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Tue Apr 27 15:40:10 CDT 2004

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:
> Folks, I need a terminal server for connecting to my various Sparc and
> PC machines.  That way even if the network card is not working right I
> can log in on a serial port and possibly save myself a trip.
>
> Anyone have something cheap?  I am in Lancaster, PA.

I use a few decserver 90TLs for that purpose here.  8 ports
(I reserve port 1 for a console, the default).  They have 10b2,
AUI, and a dechub connector on them.  They netboot from one
of my sparcs.  I have them configured so that I telnet to port
x000 and get connected to the serial console on physical port x,
but I usually let conserver (www.conserver.com) maintain the
telnet connections so that if a machine dies a hideous death
I can look at its last gasp without having to boot it.

I have at least 1 spare if you're interested.  I don't have
an external power supply since mine are connected to my dechub90.
They don't go for much on ebay.

-DanD

# You can't strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.