[rescue] Cheapest Cray?

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Tue Apr 27 14:58:11 CDT 2004

Tim Kirby wrote:

> Craypark is in Eagan, a suburb of *St. Paul*, please :)

   Sure, not too far from West's 747-proof datacenter/bunker, and down
the road from UPS & the incinerator?

> In 1999 SGI "invested" in a networking company called WAM!NET..

   Hah! I worked at a service bureau 1992-1997, and Wam!Net was selling
itself as a private digital file delivery solution -- as if the internet
wasn't there or something. (They said they could guarantee faster
dwelivery than our internet link, and then wanted to use...our internet
link. We shrugged a lot and avoided eye contact whenever they called.
The bosses, who would take *anything* that was free, didn't even bother
with these guys.) I wondered whether they'd go out of business, or
George Michael's fan club would sue them for domain name-squatting
first.

> The only "Cray" equipment you'll find belonging to Cray these
> days is located in Chippewa Falls.

   And since Miller bought Leinekugel's -- which I *still* can't get out
here, much less Summit -- that means those systems are the only things
left to see in that town. :7(
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt