[rescue] Re: rescue Digest, Vol 17, Issue 159

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Apr 27 12:39:50 CDT 2004

On Apr 26, 2004, at 10:05 AM, Ross Bernheim wrote:
>> Have you played with Forth at all?
>
> I keep trying to get the time to get into FORTH since I have seen some
> amazing things done with it. FORTH does have a bit of a steep learning
> curve, but the productivity of a decent FORTH programmer is almost
> unbelievable.

   Yes, it is truly incredible.  I just cannot figure it out.  I know
the syntax, I know the basic philosophy of the language, I've known it
for years, I can explain how to program in Forth, but I haven't yet
been able to modify my thought processes enough to be able to write
complex programs in it!  Very strange.  It's become a kind of personal
challenge for me, and now that I'm working on a project involving
Forth, I *will* wrap my brain around it this time.

   In many ways, it defies classification for a dyed-in-the-wool
procedural programmer like me.  But it is an amazing language.

   Oh yes, to pick a nit...It is "Forth", not "FORTH", according to the
inventor of the language.

         -Dave