CADR (was [rescue] Crays, etc._

William Barnett-Lewis wlewis at mailbag.com
Tue Apr 27 09:51:02 CDT 2004

> On Apr 26, 2004, at 10:43 PM, William Barnett-Lewis wrote:
>> (All of this is made even more intense right now because I'm reading
>> the schematics for the CADR/LM-2 that I found at
>> http://bitsavers.org/pdf/mit/cadr/LM-2/symbolics_cadr_docs.pdf Lots of
>> tasty old time 74S TTL IC's that even my low level of knowledge can
>> make sense out of...)
>
>    I wonder if it'd be practical to reimplement that logic in FPGAs.
>
>          -Dave

I wonder that too, but I don't have any experience using them. Is there
a good (and cheap/free) tutorial/beginner's kit out there somewhere? And
while I have a copy of the LMI lisp sources, I'm not sure about the
microcode and that would be the killer... But that core logic in FPGA
with a modern disk controller, vga compatible video, ethernet and
perhaps USB for the keyboard/mouse? Yeah, that could be a whole heck of
allot of fun...

Oh, for anyone interested, the file referenced above only has the
support (io, disk, video) schematics along with the ai lab paper
describing the machine. The actual cpu and bus schematics are in
http://bitsavers.org/pdf/mit/cadr/CADR4_schematic.pdf

William
--
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.