[rescue] Mozilla Firefox

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Apr 26 11:08:32 CDT 2004

Sun, 25 Apr 2004 @ 15:48 -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke said:

> On Sun, 25 Apr 2004, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
> > OK.  I was just thinking of how many times JavaScript/ECMA has had
> > memory leaks in the past.
> >
> > There were certain versions of Netscape back in the day that would leak
> > memory just sitting there if you enabled JavaScript.
>
> Gah.  I wonder if we'd just be better off with a pure-Java browser.  If
> it used AWT instead of Swing, it'd probably be -faster- than Mozilla.

I doubt that.  Not all of Mozilla is written in the XUL stuff.

What I can't figure out is why such serious problems exist with little
noise about them.

You almost never hear people discuss the resource requirements of the
software, or problems like memory leaks.

> And, at least we know Java's GC works.

Do we?  If it works, then it must be improperly written code in the
libraries that seems to make Java programs leak/eat memory.

No thanks.

I wish something like NeXT had taken off instead of most of what we have
now.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Tara is grass, and behold how Troy lieth
low--And even the English, perchance their hour will come!"]