[rescue] Re: The Cave

Nadine Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Sat Apr 24 11:01:00 CDT 2004

Dave McGuire wrote:

> On Apr 22, 2004, at 6:24 PM, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
>
>>> My neighbors think I'm nuts.
>>

>> I'll bet that's true of most of us on the list....
>

>   Perhaps.  But I try not to associate with "mundanes".

I prefer the term "muggles", since what we do is a kind
of magic to the uninformed.

It's odd living with non-computer types in my new situation
in DC.  The roomies are all finance types, except for the
events coordinator who decided to get out of accounting.
I had to explain what a VPN was to the roommate who dropped
me off at work the other night when I had downtime and
couldn't get into the gear from home.

They never bring home work, or even talk about work, other
than the people aspect.  The events coordinator works a lot
of extra hours, but he works for a non-profit and loves it.

It's kind of cool in some respects--the thing I hated most
about hanging out with people who were in IT was that it
was so difficult to get people to talk about anything *other*
than bitching about their jobs.

Of course, I was hoping to talk about something other than
reality TV, too--at least they are willing to analyze why
the watch it, which is one step in the right direction.

=Nadine=