[rescue] Getting an OS on an IRIS Indigo?

Micah R L lassloc at hotpop.com
Sat Apr 24 02:09:32 CDT 2004

Hmm, didn't get too far.
This network-install guide:
http://futuretech.mirror.vuurwerk.net/netboot.html says:
---
The system disk now has a clean file system, ready for installation.
Enter '1' to begin the process. The remote installation tools directory
specified earlier should be offered as a default; press Enter to select
it - in my case, this was 192.0.2.10:/i/cds/6.5inst/dist. Some
information about 6.5 will be shown and then a question about a 6.5
install script; enter '2' to ignore the script. The rest of the data
will be read and then the Inst prompt will appear again.
---

The problem is that when I select my server (which in my case was
192.168.1.6:/data/share/irix6.5.5/inst/dist), I get:
---
ERROR: Can't set up network connection to host 192.168.1.6: Permission
denied
---

This page:
http://www.cepba.upc.es/docs/sgi_doc/SGI_Admin/books/IA_InstLicns/sgi_html/apb.html

says that this error means that the given user down't have access
priveledges to the directory I need, which isn't true. I verified that
it works by su'ing to that user (guest), and cd'ing to that directory.
Googling didn't come up with anything for that error. Has anyone else
experienced this?