ethernet and switches, was Re: [rescue] Mozilla Firefox

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Fri Apr 23 22:56:59 CDT 2004

On Friday 23 April 2004 22:47, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 09:31:24PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> >   Well yeah, that's true.  I always avoid EMC stuff on general
> > principle because it always seems to be shit...incomprehensible,
> > overpriced, proprietary shit.
>
> Except for the drives.  I have two or three 12-disk multipacks at
> work that we filled with surplus ("refurb", but they sure looked
> brand new) 36G drives from hitechcafe.  Every one of the drives
> showed up in a huge EMC cannister, but they were normal Seagate SCA
> disks.
>
> Luckily, they weren't oddball-formatted; I popped them in,
> partitioned and newfs'ed, and Solaris loves them.  Cheap too, I think
> we spent less than $50 each on them a year ago.
>
> I won't touch used EMC *equipment* (frames, etc) with a ten-foot
> pole. They won't even bother LOOKING at you unless you have a current
> support contract.

Yeah, but there's not much choice for inexpensive ESCON-attached
storage.  About all I've found is piles of EMC 5xxx's on eBay so far,
and some of them are actually reasonably priced.

I'm Really Hoping that the EMC which I got works out OK, as I recognize
how crappy EMC is to deal with.  However, I might be able to get some
help through contacts at work if I do need it.

Also, I appreciate your comment about the EMC disks working in non-EMC
things; this might prove a usable way to bootstrap my S/390.

*crosses fingers*

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        ---  http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/