ethernet and switches, was Re: [rescue] Mozilla Firefox

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Fri Apr 23 22:47:31 CDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 09:31:24PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   Well yeah, that's true.  I always avoid EMC stuff on general
> principle because it always seems to be shit...incomprehensible,
> overpriced, proprietary shit.

Except for the drives.  I have two or three 12-disk multipacks at work
that we filled with surplus ("refurb", but they sure looked brand new)
36G drives from hitechcafe.  Every one of the drives showed up in
a huge EMC cannister, but they were normal Seagate SCA disks.

Luckily, they weren't oddball-formatted; I popped them in, partitioned
and newfs'ed, and Solaris loves them.  Cheap too, I think we spent less
than $50 each on them a year ago.

I won't touch used EMC *equipment* (frames, etc) with a ten-foot pole.
They won't even bother LOOKING at you unless you have a current support
contract.

At least NetApp unofficially acknowledges that there's a user/hobbyist
base for their old stuff.

Bill

--
bill bradford