[rescue] Getting an OS on an IRIS Indigo?

Ryan M. Blair blairrya at msu.edu
Fri Apr 23 22:19:48 CDT 2004

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 23:07:00 -0400
Kurt Huhn <kurt at k-huhn.com> wrote:

> On Apr 23, 2004, at 10:42 PM, Micah R L wrote:
> >
> > My understanding is that these don't boot from external CDROM drives,
> > though I tried it anyway - didn't work. I was using a burned cd in an
> > Apple CD 600e, thought - is that the problem, or will it just not boot
> > from an external disc?
> >

> Not true.  You just need a CDROM reader that understand 512B blocks.
> An old Sun CD reader will work, and so will newer Plextors, among
> others.
>
> Irix CDs burned from images will work - as long as your images are
> good.  If the image doesn't contain the entire original raw device, it
> won't contain slice info, and won't have the installation tools.
>
> > I've been told that IRIX 6.5.x will work with this machine - is this
> > true?
> >

> True.  However, you may find it to be quite slow.  I've put 6.5 on it,
> and it runs fine for headless operations, but slow when you try to use
> it as a graphical workstation.  5.3 runs *well* on these though.
>
> > I've tried this guide:
> > http://obsolete.majix.org/irix/install-network-via-linux.shtml
> > recently, and when I try to install stuff from the SGI end I get:
> > ---
> > Setting $netaddr to 192.168.1.63 (from server 192.168.1.6) #from the
> > dhcp server on the server
> > Error 7 while loading
> > network(0)bootp()192.168.1.6:/data/share/irix5.3/dist/sa(sashARCS)
> >

> > How can I get this guy running? I think it would be easiest if I had
> > another IRIX machine from which to server the installation, but this
> > is the only SGI machine that I own.
>

> I'm pretty sure network installs are only supported by receiving boot
> info from another SGI.  I could be wrong.  Jonathan?

BZZZZT! I've been able to do a network install from a Linux host with no problems (onto an Indigo, Indy, Indigo2s, and an Octane). Perhaps the problem is the fact that you're using sashARCS instead of sash.IP20...I haven't had much experience with 5.3, but I know this works using the instructions from the above site for IRIX 6.5.