ethernet and switches, was Re: [rescue] Mozilla Firefox

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Apr 23 11:21:16 CDT 2004

On Apr 23, 2004, at 11:19 AM, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> Wait, I thought Shawn said he was using a bunch of different equipment
> on his jumbo gige vlan.

   I guess he chose equipment that's interoperable. ;)

>>   I have two HIPPI switches.  I paid $50 for one and $100 for the
>> other.  I believe Brian (up near you) has at least three of them
>> (though physically very large ones) that aren't doing anything.  But
>> otherwise I agree with your points.
>
> You have two now?

   I've had two for a long time.

>   Does that mean you will now be able to do more than cross-link only
> two machines?  Will we see the Alpha, Cray, and SGI all on the same
> HIPPI net now?

   I'm not running them yet.  I got cables for them last fall, but I
currently can't afford to run the Cray, so there's very little point.

   The Alpha and SGI have serial (fiber) HIPPI, and the Crays have
parallel HIPPI.  I need to find a way to bridge them...either some sort
of converter or a serial line card for one of the HIPPI switches.

   I've been working on a point-to-point HIPPI link between the AS4100
(file server) and the Origin 2000, but I haven't been able to make it
work yet.  There is essentially zero documentation about it, and it is
nontrivial.

>   Then you will just need to figure out a way to get a G5 onto the
> HIPPI net (well, that and a way to pay for the G5).

   That too. ;)

       -Dave