ethernet and switches, was Re: [rescue] Mozilla Firefox

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Apr 23 10:19:01 CDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 11:13:43AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   Yes, frame sizes have been addressed, but last I checked, everyone
> was implementing jumbo frames differently (and incompatibly).

Bummer.

Wait, I thought Shawn said he was using a bunch of different equipment
on his jumbo gige vlan.

>   I have two HIPPI switches.  I paid $50 for one and $100 for the
> other.  I believe Brian (up near you) has at least three of them
> (though physically very large ones) that aren't doing anything.  But
> otherwise I agree with your points.

You have two now?  Does that mean you will now be able to do more than
cross-link only two machines?  Will we see the Alpha, Cray, and SGI all
on the same HIPPI net now?  Then you will just need to figure out a way
to get a G5 onto the HIPPI net (well, that and a way to pay for the G5).