ethernet and switches, was Re: [rescue] Mozilla Firefox

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Thu Apr 22 22:28:02 CDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 11:17:05PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> >I'm just sorta curious why you dislike ethernet so much.  Personally, I
> >think it was a good idea at the time.
>   Yes, it was.  Thirty years ago.

For people that can't afford to replace their entire infrastructure,
$800 24-port unmanaged copper gigabit switches and $30 PCI copper gigabit
ethernet cards (with a semi-non-sucky Realtek chipset, unlike their
10/100 stuff) is a damn nice improvement over 100baseT.

Note:  DELL NETWORK EQUIPMENT SUCKS.  We replaced a managed Dell copper gig
switch with an unmanaged NetGear copper gig switch and ALL THE PROBLEMS WENT
AWAY.

Bill

--
bill bradford