[rescue] Mozilla Firefox

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Apr 22 19:53:04 CDT 2004

Thu, 22 Apr 2004 @ 17:25 -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke said:

> On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
> > Each application startup on my system does dozens to hundreds of calls
> > to open(), the majority of which fail.  It's a blind path search.
>
> I bet that's all sorts of fun over NFS.

I misspoke: it uses stat() to do the path search.  But yeah, that's
probably expensive in terms of network chatter.

Hmmm... it's tempting to put a copy of the gnome libraries on my NFS
server, and set LD_LIBRARY_PATH and test that theory.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["There are nowadays professors of
philosophy, but not philosophers." ]