[rescue] Mozilla Firefox

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Thu Apr 22 07:54:24 CDT 2004

Skeezics Boondoggle wrote ...

> The software industry has gone mad.  This is way beyond any "conspiracy to
> sell bigger disk drives".  Poor old Mel must be spinning in his grave.

My company's founder started the place in 1978, but he'd been in the
computer biz for some years at that time.  One of the first things I did
when I came on board was find out if he knew Mel, since they were cut from
similar cloth.  He didn't, so I had the considerable pleasure of introducing
them.

Computer resources are cheap now, and those with the power to conserve them
don't see any need.  They remind me of the American pioneers; all those
trees, all those bison, might as well use 'em all.  All that RAM, might as
well fill it up.

I don't know that using less RAM or disk space, in the absolute, is all that
big a deal, but it's kind of embarassing to see how much of it some modern
software takes.  Doubly so when you consider that the increase in program
functionality hasn't nearly kept pace with the consumption of resources.

-Shel