[rescue] Mozilla Firefox

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Thu Apr 22 17:09:42 CDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 04:18:09PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Thu, 22 Apr 2004 @ 00:13 -0400, Phil Stracchino said:
>
> > I don't think it's that the software industry has gone mad, per se.  I
> > think that the Gnome developers have gotten so obsessed with trying to
> > fight Microsoft on Microsoft's terms for a desktop environment that
> > they've become Windows on Linux.  They haven't figured out that by
> > trying to do what Microsoft's environment does, they've let Microsoft
> > dictate the rules of the game.
>
> I wish more people would realize this.
>
> Now we not only have to deal with copy-cat KDE and Gnome, we have to
> deal with the latest Gnome wet-dream: Mono, a GPL'd duplication of
> Microsoft .NET.

....I wish I thought you were shitting me.

> Just look something like the Gnome weather "applet".  It eats 23MB of
> RAM.  All it does is do an HTTP query of a weather site, parse it, and
> display the data in a tiny windows.
>
> Hello?

23MB to do that? That's absurd.  I can get equivalent functionality to
that with Links, an Xterm, and a dozen lines of Perl glue code in my
sirc scripts.

The Gnome developers have completely lost it.

> Try running strace on a Gnome application some time.  The stupid code
> loads themes by brute force searches of a set of pathnames.  Why
> the hell doesn't Gnome figure out all of the paths that have objects
> in them when it starts?
>
> In fact, why does a Gnome application have to search for those parts
> anyway?  They all use the same objects for the most part, so why doesn't
> the Gnome environment cache this information and feed it to each
> application through shared memory or something?

Because that would require the coders to actually think about what they
were doing on a larger scale then the immediate local couple of hundred
lines of code?

I mean, the LEAST it could do is maintain a list of where it *found*
everything and pass that list to all the apps.

 :  alaric at caerllewys.net|phil-stracchino at earthlink.net|phil at novylen.net  :