[rescue] Mozilla Firefox

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Apr 22 16:51:16 CDT 2004

On Apr 22, 2004, at 4:28 PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> A good case in point is my alma maters registration system.  It used to
> run on a minicomputer which was basically a 68030 based machine with
> 512k RAM, and a few dozen terminals.
>
> Now it is a huge Sun enterprise server, and a few dozen M$ Windows
> machines.  The primary changes:
[snip]

> So tell me... what was the benefit in getting rid of the old mini,
> which
> could have been replaced with a newer system for a fraction of what
> this
> development project has cost in new hardware alone.

   Funneling huge amounts of money to contractors, and the attendant
kickbacks to the school's administrative personnel?

> I thought this was supposed to reduce the amount of code we wrote.
> Instead I see it being used as an excuse to create even larger
> projects.

   ...to keep the money flowing to the contractors.

> Every time I see a C project replaced with C++, it doesn't get smaller
> and less complicated -- the primary promise of C++ -- it gets larger
> and
> more complicated almost without fail.

   Yup.  And it doesn't have to be that way!  I know a guy who writes
great C++ code.  Fast, small...everything most C++ programs aren't.
Why?  Because he KNOWS HOW COMPUTERS WORK.  The trouble is, he is a
dying breed.

          -Dave