[rescue] Mozilla Firefox

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Apr 22 15:18:09 CDT 2004

Thu, 22 Apr 2004 @ 00:13 -0400, Phil Stracchino said:

> I don't think it's that the software industry has gone mad, per se.  I
> think that the Gnome developers have gotten so obsessed with trying to
> fight Microsoft on Microsoft's terms for a desktop environment that
> they've become Windows on Linux.  They haven't figured out that by
> trying to do what Microsoft's environment does, they've let Microsoft
> dictate the rules of the game.

I wish more people would realize this.

Now we not only have to deal with copy-cat KDE and Gnome, we have to
deal with the latest Gnome wet-dream: Mono, a GPL'd duplication of
Microsoft .NET.

You just *thought* resource use was high before...

As far as I can tell, the next major release of Gnome will have this
built in, and a number of apps are going to be ported or will be
otherwise integrated.

It's too bad, because some of the stuff being built on top of Mono are
actually neat ideas, but I don't want to pay the rest of the price.

Just look something like the Gnome weather "applet".  It eats 23MB of
RAM.  All it does is do an HTTP query of a weather site, parse it, and
display the data in a tiny windows.

Hello?

Try running strace on a Gnome application some time.  The stupid code
loads themes by brute force searches of a set of pathnames.  Why
the hell doesn't Gnome figure out all of the paths that have objects
in them when it starts?

In fact, why does a Gnome application have to search for those parts
anyway?  They all use the same objects for the most part, so why doesn't
the Gnome environment cache this information and feed it to each
application through shared memory or something?

Each application startup on my system does dozens to hundreds of calls
to open(), the majority of which fail.  It's a blind path search.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["There are nowadays professors of
philosophy, but not philosophers." ]