[rescue] Mozilla Firefox

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Apr 22 13:34:54 CDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 02:26:59PM -0400, Kevin Loch wrote:

> The disk cache is redundant since the memory cache is
> still in use.  On a fast internet connection and a machine
> without extra fast SCSI disk, downloading from the net
> is noticably faster than fetching from disk.
> Especially with large caches containing thousands
> of files.

If a modern computer (for values of modern that at least go back to SS2s
and 486s) can't fetch a file from disk faster than they can over a 1.5-2
megabit network connection, then there is something wrong.  Either the
computer is massively screwed up, or more likely the software is very
badly written.  Even with (or perhaps especially with) large caches
containing thousands of files.

> I also believe in the "everything is purged
> when I exit".  That is why I set cookies
> to expire at end of session too.

Whatever makes you happy.