[rescue] Mozilla Firefox

Kevin Loch kloch at gurunet.net
Thu Apr 22 13:26:59 CDT 2004

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Thu, 22 Apr 2004 @ 00:17 -0400, Kevin Loch said:
>

> That seems like an awful waste of bandwidth.

The disk cache is redundant since the memory cache is
still in use.  On a fast internet connection and a machine
without extra fast SCSI disk, downloading from the net
is noticably faster than fetching from disk.
Especially with large caches containing thousands
of files.

I also believe in the "everything is purged
when I exit".  That is why I set cookies
to expire at end of session too.

>>and ALWAYS disable open links in background.  That is likely the
>>problem you are having.
>

> I don't see any reason why it would use more memory.

Downloading all that content in the background is certainly
going to consume resources.  Bandwidth, memory, disk IO (if
disk caching is enabled).

> It is a UI issue: it means that opening a new tab leaves you in your
> current tab.

No, even within a single tab accessing lots of large images will
grow memory usage dramatically.  This is another reason
to disable background fetching.