[rescue] Mozilla Firefox

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Apr 22 12:36:39 CDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 05:33:51PM +0200, Jochen Kunz wrote:

> This is the point. A loooong time ago I played with smalltalk. It is an
> ideal environement to implement GUI applications. The smalltalk language
> has only a few, simple and orthogonal but powerful concepts. It is easy
> to learn. The critical point is to _use_ it proper, to do things the
> right way and use proper OO software design methods. IMHO hybrid
> languages like C++ tend to lead the programmer to write "hybrid"
> programms, that aren't procedural nor OO. You can't do things well
> without "gorking" the OO paradigm.

On a side note, Squeak on modest Intel and PPC machines screams, and to
my understanding it doesn't even do anything like JIT compiling (though
I believe some people are working on that).  I wish I knew why it
crawled so slowly on my Octane (Squeak runs nicely on a Pentium 166, but
it crawls on my R10k @ 250mhz).