[rescue] Mozilla Firefox

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Thu Apr 22 10:33:51 CDT 2004

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 09:41:28 -0400
Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:

> > I blame OO.
> Just because crappy programmers flock to object orientedness doesn't
> make it OOs fault.
This is the point. A loooong time ago I played with smalltalk. It is an
ideal environement to implement GUI applications. The smalltalk language
has only a few, simple and orthogonal but powerful concepts. It is easy
to learn. The critical point is to _use_ it proper, to do things the
right way and use proper OO software design methods. IMHO hybrid
languages like C++ tend to lead the programmer to write "hybrid"
programms, that aren't procedural nor OO. You can't do things well
without "gorking" the OO paradigm.

> In the linux world, the most complained and bitched about stuff is
> coming mainly from projects written in C that are psuedo object
> oriented.
This is an other point. Use proper tools for a speciffic task. Somthing
like smalltalk for GUI applications, C for small non-GUI programms or
system software like an OS kernel.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen