[rescue] Mozilla Firefox

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Apr 22 00:13:52 CDT 2004

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Simple.  They're trying to be everything to everyone, be a complete
> interface on TOP of X/11, they virtualize EVERYTHING, and they've got a
> really nasty case of feeping creaturitis.

Oh, right I forgot about that.  GTK+ v2.0 is sufficiently abstracted
away that I don't believe there's a single X11-specific call in it.
GNOME is built a couple logical (ie: not function call) layers atop
that.

It's not until you get deep in the bowels of GDK that you actually hit
X11, and then you have all of X11's molasses to trudge through before
bits hit the screen.

> Plus, they keep re-inventing the wheel, because the Gnome documentation
> standard is a URL to a blank page on gnome.org that nobody's gotten
> around to writing yet.

*chuckle*

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Being on the Internet is not the same as being
Elgin, TX         (   famous.  That's like calling Cheetos 'dinner'."