[rescue] Mozilla Firefox

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Apr 22 00:12:07 CDT 2004

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Dave McGuire wrote:

> People are getting so far away from the actual computer that they
> have no idea how to write code that uses it efficiently.  This is a
> BIG mistake.

Or, like at $work, they downright refuse to write code--they use point-
and-drool code generators.  Some of these people have no clue that
there's more to application programming than user interface.

> "C sucks because it doesn't have associative arrays!" some of these
> kids scream.  They Just Don't Get It.

Also heard as "C sucks because you have to manage your own resources!"

>    However...Gnome in particular, I've been told several times, is
> written in C...not C++.  I've not verified this due to lack of
> motivation, but I have to wonder, assuming it's true...how on Earth do
> they manage to get C (not C++) code to be that big and that slow?

GNOME and GTK+ due dynamic binding in C via brute-force method lookup
tables.  It worked well in GTK+ 1.x, which was farily small, but in GTK+
2.x, which is much larger, with many more classes, it starts to slog.
When you throw all of GNOME in there, with all its CORBA glory and GLADE
runtime-interpreted user interfaces and GNOME's chatty reimplementation
of drag-n-drop, it starts to stress things a bit.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "Being on the Internet is not the same as being
Elgin, TX         (   famous.  That's like calling Cheetos 'dinner'."