[rescue] New G3

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Tue Apr 20 22:57:30 CDT 2004

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 12:01:07AM -0400, Eric Webb wrote:
> I just picked up a G3/300with only 128MB (I understand that Macs are
> RAM-hungry) that seems to boot just fine with the OS 9.2 install that's on it
> now.  I don't have an ADB keyboard/mouse, and I see no USB ports on this guy,
> so all I can do is watch it boot.  I guess I'll have to browse the 'bay or
> stop by CompUSA to find one.

I have a large number of spare Apple ADB-II mice.  I can spare you one
if you want.  I can also come up with a spare ADB Mac keyboard.

> Are there any ADB-to-PS2 adapters out there?
>
> Can someone explain the G3/G4/G5 thing to me?  Are these PowerPCs, or
> Apple-specific derivatives thereof?  How do they compare to the 604e's and
> the newer Power chips from IBM that I'm familiar with?

IIRC, the "G3" is a PowerPC 750.  I don't know how it performs relative
to a 604e.  The G4 is, I think, just a faster PPC750.  The "G5", aka
PPC970, is at a first approximation half of a Power4 CPU cartridge.

> Oh, and why doesn't this thing greet me with the famous Mac startup chimes?

Dunno.  My G3/300 (a 7300 with a Sonnet card) has a nice fat startup
chord.

 :  alaric at caerllewys.net|phil-stracchino at earthlink.net|phil at novylen.net  :