[rescue] PowerMac recommendations?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Apr 20 14:41:10 CDT 2004

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 07:33:19PM +0000, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Bill,
> The files on the VCD, are they MPEG already, and ready to be used as-is,
> or are they compressed? My Replay stores files in a compressed MPEG format
> that my numerous half-hearted attempts to extract have not been successful...

Yes.  You can either play the discs directly on a DVD player, or use a
program like ISOBuster on a PC to extract them to normal MPEG files.  The
content is already MPEG, its just not a iso9660 disc.

> Though I wonder if one of the DVD-recording stand-alone options might work
> better for me (several shows on one DVD due to higher capacity), for $300
> or less...

If you've already got a ReplayTV, just get an extraction client:

eReplay:  http://www.bentpixel.com/fbm/
MacReplayTV: http://homepage.mac.com/rnc/

I'd have kept my ReplayTV (due to ease of extracting shows) if it wasnt
for the HORRIBLE USER INTERFACE minor nitpick. 8-)

Bill

--
bill bradford
austin texas