[rescue] PowerMac recommendations?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Apr 20 14:33:19 CDT 2004

> From: Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
> Date: 2004/04/20 Tue PM 07:15:23 GMT
> To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: [rescue] PowerMac recommendations?

> Less than $300 - the Gateway DVD player is a rebadged Lite-On.
>
> I own a Lite-On LVR-1001.  Its a dual-deck unit - one side is DVD
> playing, the other side is VCD/SVCD recording.  It works GREAT for
> getting stuff off my TiVo onto VCD/SVCD.  If I later need MPEG, I just
> extract it off the VCD.  Whole thing cost about $140 at CompUSA.

Bill,

The files on the VCD, are they MPEG already, and ready to be used as-is, or are they compressed? My Replay stores files in a compressed MPEG format that my numerous half-hearted attempts to extract have not been successful...

Though I wonder if one of the DVD-recording stand-alone options might work better for me (several shows on one DVD due to higher capacity), for $300 or less...