[rescue] PowerMac recommendations?

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Tue Apr 20 12:54:01 CDT 2004

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:55:21 -0500
Mike Parson <mparson at bl.org> wrote:

> I have a friend that does exactly this for his church, including
> streaming sermons live on sundays and maintaining available online
> archives.  If you like, I can ask him to drop you a line, he's
> definately done this all on a budget, but I'm 99% sure he does it all
> with PC hardware.
>
> --
> Michael Parson

Sure, have him drop me a line.

To the rest of this discussion:
The budget is important, but it is simply a time vs. money trade off. If I can
do it for $1K with PCs, but $2k with a Mac, it will require a little waiting.
 I do have a loaner of a 8xx Mhz G4, and I have learned in a church situation
if you can show a valid reason to spend it the money will show up, sometimes
in one chunk with an attached "in memory of..." plaque.  So the budget is not
my primary concern.

Josh, I really liked the idea of doing it with SGI and or Sun boxen, but
unfortunately I do need to make this thing as ungeeky as possible, another
reason for MacOS.  People other than I have to use it on occasion.

I understand there is a even less geeky OS than OSX, but I heard that the
hassle of re-glazing when windows breaks gets annoying :-)

regarding single headedness, I don't have a presentation package chosen, I see
Apple is selling one, Keynote, for $100, has anyone seen it, does it do
display out one head and control on another?

I am not as concerned about guest speakers showing up with a PowerPoint show,
because I will have a Windows laptop which can be used from the pulpit or
front of the church to handle that stuff.

If a single control head proves insufficient, I can always stick another low
end card in the mac just to run the projector, but I'm not sure I have space
for even 2 fifteen inch flat panels.  I was planning on a single 17.

Oh, Dave, I am not rabidly anti-PC like you, but I fully understand that
quality PC hardware is just as expensive as non-PC hardware.  Given equal
price, why would I buy PC?

Thanks for all the advice.
Tim