[rescue] PowerMac recommendations?

Shawn Wallbridge shawn at synack-hosting.com
Tue Apr 20 01:13:38 CDT 2004

For cheap good video capture, I have found the Formac Studio DV to be
really nice. It takes Svideo or Composite in/out and converts it to (or
from) Firewire. I have captured a two hour show with my PowerBook
(15.2" 1.25GHz) without problems.

It doesn't look like they sell it anymore (a shame), but their are
numerous products that are pretty much functionally identical.

I just used iMovie, but their is no reason you couldn't use a better
applications (Final Cut, etc)

I remember reading a benchmark and the 1.6GHz G5 smoked a dual 1.42GHz
G4, but the 1.6GHz G5 is really not the best choice, the machine is
extremely crippled by apple, you would be MUCH better off with a 1.8
(even a refurbed single 1.8 would be MUCH MUCH better).

shawn