[rescue] Re: rescue Digest, Vol 17, Issue 97

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Mon Apr 19 02:03:04 CDT 2004

On Sun, Apr 18, 2004 at 12:49:25AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 17, 2004 at 10:48:43PM -0700, Ross Bernheim wrote:
> > If you have apnea, or suspect that you do, get it properly diagnosed
> > and treated NOW. Make it the highest priority in your life!
> > If nothing else, getting the apnea treated will provide you with the
> > increased energy to use those rescued computers more.
>
> Yep, we've got a good club of apnea-having folks here.  Myself, Dave
> Mcguire, and one other listmember at least..

I don't have apnea ....   just chronic insomnia for as long as I can
remember.  My wife made an "Aha!" connection on this recently.

You see, I was badly burned in a fire when I was 18 months old, and
spent the NEXT 18 months in hospital.  I spent the first two or three of
those months bandaged from heat to foot, staring at the ceiling, flat on
my back, with my arms strapped to a board so I couldn't scratch the
healing burns.

At that time at least, hospital wards were *never dark*.  The nurses
kept the lights on so they could check on the kids more easily.  So here
I was, 18 months old with a still-forming brain, in what amounted to
partial sensory deprivation with little or no light/dark cycle.

No WONDER my circadian clock is screwed up.

 :  alaric at caerllewys.net|phil-stracchino at earthlink.net|phil at novylen.net  :