[rescue] Telephon rescue!

James james at jdfogg.com
Sun Apr 18 21:45:10 CDT 2004

> My favorite telephone-related site(s):
>
> http://www.bellsystemmemorial.com/
>
> http://www.telephonetribute.com/
>
> Back when these were pretty much hosted at the same site, I liked them
> so much that I paid $20 for a copy of the site(s) on CD-ROM.
>
> I really need to get back into telephone collecting.  New phones today
> just don't have "soul".  I need a good old heavy WE 500 touch-tone desk
> set with an external Caller ID box.
>
> I told Amy, "we need to hook this 302 set up to a VoIP adapter, and make
> VoIP calls with it."  She looked at me.  "You're SICK."
> Bill

What you need is a nice key system or hybrid PBX with SL cards. If you were
interested I could fix you up with one of my Iwatsu ZTD's. If you hang a
bunch of old phones on a telco circuit the Ringer Equivalency Number will be
high and you might not get ringing reliably. The ZTD has a stout power
supply and ring generator for such an environment. I now have 10 SL phones
on my ZTD, 4 of which are hybrid/network/mech-ringer types with no problems.
I do VoIP off a linecard on the ZTD and that allows me to do VoIP from a
1950's phone (what an odd feeling that is).

You could also get a Lucent system off ebay cheap. The last versions would
do SL or keyphone off the same port. If they don't have vmail they sell
cheap (but not a very flexible design).

So what ever happened to phones at mrbill.net? I assume it never got a
reasonable subscriber base?