[rescue] Re: rescue Digest, Vol 17, Issue 97

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sun Apr 18 13:51:57 CDT 2004

On Sun, Apr 18, 2004 at 02:50:27AM -0400, Torquil MacCorkle, III wrote:
> Is sleep apnea the one caused by fat around your neck being pushed into you
> due to gravity when you lie down, effectively strangling you?  Can't that
> just be fixed by losing weight?  (I wonder if I have that, sleep over the
> past like... month, has actually been *painful*, I wake up and I am sore, I
> sleep 2-3 hours at a time and am always exhausted, but sleep doesn't seem to
> help.)

Weight can be an aggrivating factor, but plenty of skinny people have sleep
apnea too.  From talking to my mother, I've basically had it ever since I
was born (I'd stop breathing often as a baby and a little kid, while sleeping).

Mine is also aggrivated by the fact that I was 2 months premature and as a
result of a breathing tube, have scar tissue INSIDE my trachea.

Bill

--
bill bradford
austin texas